[open-linguistics] DBpedia Open Text Extraction Challenge - TextExt

Sebastian Hellmann pr-aksw at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Fri Mar 3 14:10:07 UTC 2017

*DBpedia Open Text Extraction Challenge - TextExt*

Website: http://wiki.dbpedia.org/textext

*_Disclaimer: The call is under constant development, please refer to
the news section. We also acknowledge the initial engineering effort and
will be lenient on technical requirements for the first submissions and
will focus evaluation on the extracted triples and allow late
submissions, if they are coordinated with us_*.

      Background

DBpedia and Wikidata currently focus primarily on representing factual
knowledge as contained in Wikipedia infoboxes. A vast amount of
information, however, is contained in the unstructured Wikipedia article
texts. With the DBpedia Open Text Extraction Challenge, we aim to spur
knowledge extraction from Wikipedia article texts in order to
dramatically broaden and deepen the amount of structured
DBpedia/Wikipedia data and provide a platform for benchmarking various
extraction tools.

      Mission

Wikipedia has become the ubiquitous source of knowledge for the world
enabling humans to lookup definitions, quickly become familiar with new
topics, read up background infos for news event and many more - even
settling coffee house arguments via a quick mobile research. The mission
of DBpedia in general is to harvest Wikipedia’s knowledge, refine and
structure it and then disseminate it on the web - in a free and open
manner - for IT users and businesses.

      News and next events

Twitter: Follow @dbpedia <https://twitter.com/dbpedia>, Hashtag:
#dbpedianlp <https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&q=%23dbpedianlp&src=typd>

  *

    LDK <http://ldk2017.org/> conference joined the challenge (Deadline
    March 19th and April 24th)

  *

    SEMANTiCS <http://2017.semantics.cc/> joined the challenge (Deadline
    June 11th and July 17th)

  *

    Feb 20th, 2017: Full example added to this website

  *

    March 1st, 2017: Docker image (beta)
    https://github.com/NLP2RDF/DBpediaOpenDBpediaTextExtractionChallenge

Coming soon:

  *

    beginning of March: full example within the docker image

  *

    beginning of March: DBpedia full article text and tables (currently
    only abstracts) http://downloads.dbpedia.org/2016-10/core-i18n/

      Methodology

The DBpedia Open Text Extraction Challenge differs significantly from
other challenges in the language technology and other areas in that it
is not a one time call, but a continuous growing and expanding challenge
with the focus to *sustainably* advance the state of the art and
transcend boundaries in a *systematic* way. The DBpedia Association and
the people behind this challenge are committed to provide the necessary
infrastructure and drive the challenge for an indefinite time as well as
potentially extend the challenge beyond Wikipedia.

We provide the extracted and cleaned full text for all Wikipedia
articles from 9 different languages in regular intervals for download
and as Docker in the machine readable NIF-RDF
<http://persistence.uni-leipzig.org/nlp2rdf/> format (Example for
Barrack Obama in English
<https://github.com/NLP2RDF/DBpediaOpenDBpediaTextExtractionChallenge/blob/master/BO.ttl>).
Challenge participants are asked to wrap their NLP and extraction
engines in Docker images and submit them to us. We will run
participants’ tools in regular intervals in order to extract:

 1.

    Facts, relations, events, terminology, ontologies as RDF triples
    (Triple track)

 2.

    Useful NLP annotations such as pos-tags, dependencies, co-reference
    (Annotation track)

We allow submissions 2 months prior to selected conferences (currently
_http://ldk2017.org/_ and _http://2017.semantics.cc/_ ). Participants
that fulfil the technical requirements and provide a sufficient
description will be able to present at the conference and be included in
the yearly proceedings. *Each conference, the challenge committee will
select a winner among challenge participants, which will receive 1000€. *

      Results

Every December, we will publish a summary article and proceedings of
participants’ submissions at _http://ceur-ws.org/_ . The first
proceedings are planned to be published in Dec 2017. We will try to
briefly summarize any intermediate progress online in this section.

      Acknowledgements

We would like to thank the Computer Center of Leipzig University to give
us access to their 6TB RAM server Sirius to run all extraction tools.

The project was created with the support of the H2020 EU project HOBBIT
<https://project-hobbit.eu/> (GA-688227) and ALIGNED
<http://aligned-project.eu/> (GA-644055) as well as the BMWi project
Smart Data Web <http://smartdataweb.de/> (GA-01MD15010B).

      Challenge Committee

  *

    Sebastian Hellmann, AKSW, DBpedia Association, KILT Competence
    Center, InfAI, Leipzig

  *

    Sören Auer, Fraunhofer IAIS, University of Bonn

  *

    Ricardo Usbeck, AKSW, Simba Competence Center, Leipzig University

  *

    Dimitris Kontokostas, AKSW, DBpedia Association, KILT Competence
    Center, InfAI, Leipzig

  *

    Sandro Coelho, AKSW, DBpedia Association, KILT Competence Center,
    InfAI, Leipzig

Contact Email: _dbpedia-textext-challenge at infai.org_
<mailto:dbpedia-textext-challenge at infai.org>