[open-linguistics] Defining "Openness" for Linguistic Linked Open Data

Víctor Rodríguez Doncel vrodriguez at fi.upm.es
Wed Jan 17 10:09:34 UTC 2018

Dear Christian,

Even if the very first star of the high-quality "5 star linked data" [1]
imposes that license must be open, there are some people who would like
to soften this requirement, making the O in LOD to simply mean "open
format". Furthermore, the European Union is striving towards
establishing data markets, where obviously licenses cannot be open and
where linked data may play a role (see how they are actively funding,
right now, such research projects).

In my opinion, limiting the LLOD to strictly open datasets is a mistake,
as it would depict a reality only partially. The webpage at
http://linguistic-lod.org/llod-cloud already displays the cloud by
license; I cannot possibly imagine how to improve that...

Regards,
Víctor

[1] https://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData.html

[2] ICT-13-2018-2019: Supporting the emergence of data markets and the
data economy
https://ec.europa.eu/research/participants/portal/desktop/en/opportunities/h2020/topics/ict-13-2018-2019.html

--
Víctor Rodríguez-Doncel
D3205 - Ontology Engineering Group (OEG)

Campus de Montegancedo s/n
Boadilla del Monte-28660 Madrid, Spain
Tel. (+34) 91336 3672
Skype: vroddon3