[open-linguistics] Defining "Openness" for Linguistic Linked Open Data

Francis Bond bond at ieee.org
Wed Jan 31 01:20:53 UTC 2018

G'day,

I understand the motivation for including the non-open data, but would
still prefer two graphs: one for linked open linguistic data, and one
for linked linguistic data (preferably also showing open-non-open
clearly).  I agree that there is not much point in linking non-open
resources not linked to open resources.

On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 7:36 PM, John McCrae <john at mccr.ae> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I can say that we are going to update the methodology for producing the LLOD
> cloud soon and we will look into the issue of non-open resources. I think it
> is a good idea to include some non-open resources as they may be targets of
> linking from open resources, however we should not include non-open
> resources that are not linked to/from open resources. The option of
> graying-out non-open resources or otherwise clearly indicating that they are
> not open is a necessary step.
>
> Regards,
> John
>
> On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 8:16 AM, Sebastian Nordhoff
> <sebastian.nordhoff at glottotopia.de> wrote:
>>
>> > Alternatively, we could stay with one diagram, in which the difference
>> > between proper OD-licensed bubbles and NC are more clearly emphasized
>> > underlined by graphical means, e.g., the color of borders (none for NC?)
>> > and arrows (light gray for NC) [but not fill color, as this is used for
>> > sub-classifying resource categories, already].
>>

>> could we not set the alpha channel to 50% for non-open resources, thus
>> greying them out a bit? The graph would remain complete then, but the
>> first class and second class members would be clearly distinguishable
>> Sebastian

Francis Bond <http://www3.ntu.edu.sg/home/fcbond/>
Division of Linguistics and Multilingual Studies
Nanyang Technological University