[open-linguistics] Final Call for Papers: Biographical Data in a Digital World 2019

Kiril Simov kivs at bultreebank.org
Mon May 13 08:25:38 UTC 2019

Final Call for Papers: Biographical Data in a Digital World 2019
Varna (Bulgaria)
5-6 September 2019
https://sites.google.com/view/bd2019

Extended deadline for full paper submissions: 07 june 2019, 08:00 GMT.

Papers should be submitted through Easychair: https://easychair.org/my/conference?conf=bd2019

The digital age has changed the way academics work in every
discipline. Computers allow for the processing of digital data
much faster than humans can do, they are able to show patterns
and statistical analyses and can detect links that otherwise
would be hard to find. This conference explores whether and how,
in the field of digital humanities, biographical data are
special. Biographies are interesting for analysis with computer
techniques, since individuals share a set of common
characteristics that can be relatively easily identified by a
machine, such as a birthdate, a partner, a profession, and a
network. Tools and approaches from the digital humanities can be
used for both quantitative analyses of such data and for
providing leads for more qualitative research questions.

This conference aims at bringing together researchers from both
the humanities and the computer sciences to exchange experiences,
methods and practices with respect to ICT mediated quantitative
and qualitative analysis of biographical data. What can we do
already with computational methods with the huge amount of
digital biographical data that is available? What will we be able
to do in the future? What will we not be able to do?

For this edition we invite both full paper submissions and abstracts.

Papers must have a maximum of 8.000 words (excluding bibliography
and footnotes) and minimum of 3000 words, which will undergo a
single blind peer review process. Accepted papers will be
published in online proceedings shortly after the Conference.

Abstracts will be checked for relevance. Accepted abstracts will
be welcome to give a presentation at the Conference, and will be
included in a book of abstracts.

Topics which may be addressed include, but certainly are not
limited to:

1.  Mining biographies for structured information
2.  Biographies and linked data
3.  Using biographical information for quantitative analyses
4.  The canonization of people and events in history
5.  The use or uselessness of big data for biographical research
6.  Visualizing biographical data
7.  Biographical Dictionaries
8.  Dealing with biographical data in heterogeneous datasets
9.  Practices in digitizing and converting biographical data to a software interpretable format
10. Automatic biography generation
11. Biographies across countries and cultures
12. Standards, vocabularies and best practices for the encoding and processing of biographical data

Special Session:

Many entities share similar life-cycle of existence within human minds, such as countries, cities, other geo-political
entities, cultural and historical artefacts.

We invite papers for a special session on modeling, representation and creation of data for handling life-span events in
which such common entities are involved. Of special interest will be the sharing of conceptualizations, interaction
between biographical data and life-span data for other entities.

Important Dates

Extended deadline for full paper submissions: 07 june 2019, 08:00 GMT.
Deadline for abstracts: 21 June 2019, 08:00 GMT.
Notification of acceptance: 15 July 2019, 08:00 GMT.
Conference dates: 5-6 September 2019, Varna, Bulgaria
Camera ready version: 12 September 2019, 08:00 GMT.