[open-linguistics] Future home of Open Linguistics [IMPORTANT]

Christian Chiarcos christian.chiarcos at web.de
Wed Jan 22 15:04:14 UTC 2020

Dear all,

a brief summary of today's telco:
- 6 participants, 1 remote vote
- We discussed the following options:
FreeLists, Goethe Universität Frankfurt, Google Groups, W3C CG, groups.io;
Open Knowledge Forums
- after discussion, 2 questions to vote upon: (a) which hosting provider,
(b) whether or nor to maintain a category at OK forums (alongside with
mailing list)
- Public web presence from okfn.org (mail archive, web site) archived under
https://github.com/open-linguistics/website/tree/master/backup.

hosting provider:
6 (of 6) votes for creating a mailing list via Google Groups. Decisive
factors were that it is an established solution known to be well working
and that most of us have experience with, that has a good maintenance
perspective and in case it will really be shut down, this will be announced
several months ahead of time (as earlier for Google+ or Google Waves). It
doesn't come with the organizational overhead of a W3C CG and can be
quickly created. Note that participation does not require a Gmail account.
A possible concern was that people might reject it for political or privacy
reasons, but none of the people present raised such concerns for
himself/herself. Independently from the vote, several participants
suggested that a W3C CG should be a prospective goal, but we had a
consensus that this requires an agreement on possible deliverables and
probably a narrower focus, and that both would be impossible in the current
time frame.

Open Knowledge forum category:
4 (of 6) votes + 1 remote vote for creating a forum category. In the
discussion, it was made clear that we understand that as a permanent
presence at OKF and as a channel for public announcement, not as a major
communication channel that competes with the mailing list. I will contact
OKF later today about this.

Maxim Ionov is in the process of setting up a Google group. This will be a
moderated list, so that we don't get flooded by spam, and Bettina and
myself will continue to serve as moderators. Other topics for discussion
(digital infrastructure, upcoming activities) postponed for the first
discussion on the new mailing list.

Best,
Christian