[open-science-dev] Travelling to SWAT4LS from cambridge/hinxton genome campus

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Dec 5 17:32:08 UTC 2011

Copied to the list as it creates a feeling of community...
jerven (and anyone else)
I am travelling down from Cambridge station tomorrow - I was planning to
get down for lunchtime - about 1230 at Kings Cross as that's when Graham
Steel is arriving (if the snow allows). It might be a bit dependent on
Graham's movements. Gilles will also be around at lunchtime.

These are VERY informal occasions. Anyone is welcome to talk to anyone so
you are welcome to join. Cross fretilization of ideas is very important.

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 4:49 PM, Jerven Bolleman
<jerven.bolleman at isb-sib.ch>wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Is any one traveling tomorrow from Cambridge to the Swat4ls Hackathon
>  evening. If so I am at the ebi/sanger centre tomorrow and would like to
> travel with someone more knowledgable about london. So is anyone heading to
> the Hackathon  evening/dinner from cambridge or hinxton and if so do you
> want to travel together?

I am going from Cambridge to Kings Cross so you would have to travel to
Cambridge from Hinxton [1]. Trains go every 30 minutes and take 45-50 mins.
The venue (Univ London Union) is one tube stop west (Euston Square or
Russell Square) and I normally walk (ca 14 mins through Bloomsbury). The
walk goes past the Gandhi memorial in Tavistock Square and it's classic
London architecture, with lots of places where famous people (artists,
scientists, authors) lived ("the Bloomsbury set"). It's not too difficult
to navigate otherwise - go up Euston Road - past the Wellcome buildings
(Henry Wellcome's collection is very interesting) past the new biomedical
complex, down Gower Street. Look in at University College. Then down to
Malet Street and ULU. (The Senate House is unmistakable - a huge pillar of
Portland stone - used in the film 1984). If you get lost, just aim for the
Senate House.

P.

> Regards,
> Jerven

[1](There are nearer stations but they go to Liverpool Street which is
further east and you would need to take a Circle (yellow) /Met (dark
red/maroon) line to Euston Square for the venue (no changes needed)

Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics
Unilever Centre, Dep. Of Chemistry
University of Cambridge