[open-science-dev] [open-science] [UK legislation] Draft regulations allowing non-commercial 'data analysis' published for comment

Tom Morris tfmorris at gmail.com
Sun Jun 23 14:36:59 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 12:18 PM, Ross Mounce <ross.mounce at okfn.org> wrote:

> The UK Intellectual Propert Office (IPO) has released some draft
> legislation for technical review that may be of interest. It concerns new
> allowances for:
>
> 1.) 'non-commercial data analysis' (which I would assume to specifically
> include text mining and content mining).
> http://www.ipo.gov.uk/techreview-data-analysis.pdf

So it sounds like they think counting words should be legislated
differently from plain old reading.

If they are scrupulous about enforcing the non-commercial aspect of this, I
don't see how it's really going to grant much, if any, new usage rights.
 Pretty much all research gets commercialized at some point -- well, unless
it's about Shakespeare or something.

Tom