[Open-science-nl] MediArXiv project launched!

Sondervan, J. (Jeroen) J.Sondervan at uu.nl
Mon Jan 7 19:47:17 UTC 2019

Dear all,

Apologies for any cross-posting. but I hereby want to inform you about the new project MediArXiv and a call for steering committee members. If you can share this (see below) in your network that would be highly appreciated. If you have any further questions about the project, feel absolutely free to contact me or one of the other (initial) steering committee members.

Many thanks in advance and hope to see you someday!

All best wishes,

Jeroen Sondervan | Open Access Publishing Consultant | Uopen Journals | Team Publishing & Communication | Utrecht University Library| Heidelberglaan 3, 3584 CS Utrecht | P.O.Box 80124, 3508 TC Utrecht | room 2.46 | +31 (0)6 1422 1443|j.sondervan at uu.nl<mailto:j.sondervan at uu.nl> | http://www.uu.nl/medewerkers/JSondervan | @jeroenson | Mon, Tue, Thurs

--

The initial Steering Committee is excited to announce the forthcoming launch of MediArXiv, the nonprofit, open archive for media, film & communication studies. The open-access "preprint" server will soon accept submissions from scholars across our diverse fields. MediArXiv will join the growing movement started by the math/physics/computer science-oriented arXiv.org<http://arxiv.org/?fbclid=IwAR0ZYIds4k2KXIuJWzWMYPjDueFvM6zBh11YHKM67DrW2fECTJSN1dyv7-I> over 25 years ago, as one of the first full-fledged preprint servers conceived for humanities and social science scholars.

MediArxiv will accept working papers, pre-prints, accepted manuscripts (post-prints), and published manuscripts. The service is open to articles, books, and book chapters. There is currently some limited support for other scholarly forms (like video essays), which we plan to expand and officially support in the future.

Our aim is to promote open scholarship across media, film and communication studies around the world. In addition to accepting and moderating submissions, we plan to advocate for policy changes at the major media, film, & communication studies professional societies around the world--to push for open-access friendly policies, in particular, for the journals that these associations sponsor.

MediArXiv will launch in early 2019 on the Open Science Framework, which already hosts a number of other discipline-specific open archives:

https://osf.io/preprints/<https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fosf.io%2Fpreprints%2F%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR3TS_HK3CWdJGleErHi24wbxpiANYMCKURugsEeBO2cbrHaVwXu7Z5g820&h=AT0XZ5dH75IKjbxKdiVpX95IfCE0l8rQ08iHbxCGu38kYZpaS0un8Zr9u_Rz774HcZxBXAa-pI6MsLZVR3cKbnhmqoWbSSm8--pxH5FNsXK71Xk3uZECZ5yFIMdAR1v4AMDLigCAWq_6FISmhGnX9oTaXGFX5ntZxA>

We are writing to solicit applications for additional Steering Committee membership, with an interest in, but not limited to, early career scholars and those who work in the Global South. We anticipate adding five- to six- additional members, who will help to establish and guide MediArXiv together with the existing members. In addition to governance, Steering Committee members commit to contribute to light moderation of submissions on a rotating basis.

Applications will be accepted through Friday, January 23, and successful applicants will be informed by January 30.

https://mediarxiv.com/steering-form/<https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmediarxiv.com%2Fsteering-form%2F%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR1BeaBY1oKOMVdG9j9xnwy9Dth77ZCvLh15kuL1N-7MxHjlxe_DBoSJcyI&h=AT1PkhugMjIjWyyDf8T2Gx8vRS5WJoo9ZYUG7omoBaUd08aJzjmMY3IFqlraQp2BObNfqjTxa0WWaLO-FKLNZ82OQ3tSiDATw3LdzuuOO_ZBTVEkyDss7W6kH1YpIUMq4Gr4QQuzkm3_FwOzmLa_afRLiNzTUONX93HareCaoQGxwfk>

More details about MediArXiv can be found at our information site: https://mediarxiv.com/

The MediArXiv Steering Committee

* Jeff Pooley, Associate Professor of Media & Communication, Muhlenberg College
* Jeroen Sondervan, open access expert and co-founder of Open Access in Media Studies. Affiliated with Utrecht University
* Catherine Grant, Professor of Digital Media and Screen Studies, Birkbeck, University of London
* Jussi Parikka, Professor of Technological Culture & Aesthetics, University of Southampton
* Leah Lievrouw, Professor of Information Studies, UCLA

MediArXiv is a project initiated by Open Access in Media Studies: https://oamediastudies.com/

As free, nonprofit, community-led digital archive, MediArXiv is fully committed to the Fair Open Access principles: https://www.fairopenaccess.org/