[open-science-ox] Next OxOpenSci 22 Aug: "How best can we train graduates for research in the age of ‘Big Data’?"

Jenny Molloy jenny.molloy at okfn.org
Thu Aug 16 19:04:30 UTC 2012

Hi All

Info about next week's event is below, please forward to anyone you think
would be interested and encourage your friends and colleagues to come
along.
Look forward to seeing you next week!

Jenny

If you're interested in data management in the digital age, the spread of
the open science movement, and how we can successfully develop our approach
to training the researchers of the future, then our event next Wednesday is
the thing for you!

What:* "How best can we train graduates for research in the age of ‘Big
Data’?***"

When: *7.30pm* on ***Wednesday 22nd August*

Where: *Oxford e-Research Centre (OeRC), Keble Road *(meeting will be
signed from the door of 7 Keble Road)

Come and join us for the August meeting of the Oxford Open Science group***.
* We’ve been busy putting together a varied and exciting programme of
speakers, providing a range of perspectives on the key issues facing
academia in the face of the “rising tide of scientific data”. We’ll be
hearing from:

   - *Juliet Ralph *and* Oliver Bridle *from Oxford’s* Bodleian
Library<http://www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/bodley>
   *, discussing information seeking amongst students and the current
   provision of digital/data management tools (including a discussion of the
   recent JISC/British Library report on the working practices of Generation Y
   research students);
   - *Anna Collins *from* DSpace Cambridge* <http://www.dspace.cam.ac.uk/>,
   talking about the “long tail in the shadow of big data”, whose
   responsibility data management is in these contexts and how this might
   develop in the future;
   - *Laura Newman *from the* Open Knowledge Foundation
(OKFN)*<http://okfn.org/>,
   talking about progress and plans for the newly-launched School of Data;
   - *Jez Cope* from the *Doctoral Training Centre in Sustainable Chemical
   Technologies* <http://www.bath.ac.uk/csct/> at the *University of Bath*,
   talking about his experiences in data management and social media training
   with DTC students.

There’ll be plenty of opportunities for discussion and debate as well, so
please do come and join us, even if you’re only able to drop in for part of
the evening. Those of you looking to enjoy the highly social side of open
science may also like to join us for a drink in one of the local pubs
afterwards. We look forward to welcoming you next week!

OOS is a group for anyone interested in open science projects with a focus
on creating useful tools, apps and guidelines alongside building an Oxford
based community with monthly meetups and periodic lectures, debates and
workshops. For more information email jenny.molloy at zoo.ox.ac.uk or check
out the group wiki http://wiki.okfn.org/Working_Groups/Science/Oxford