[open-science-ox] TONIGHT: How best can we train graduates for research in the age of ‘Big Data’?, Wed 22 Aug, 7:30pm

Jenny Molloy jenny.molloy at okfn.org
Wed Aug 22 15:17:18 UTC 2012

If you're interested in data management in the digital age, the spread
of the open science movement, and how we can successfully develop our
approach to training the researchers of the future, then our event
this Wednesday is the thing for you!

WHAT: "How best can we train graduates for research in the age of ‘Big
Data’?"
WHEN: 7.30pm on Wednesday 22nd August
WHERE: Room 278, Oxford e-Research Centre (OeRC), Keble Road (meeting
will be signed from the door of 7 Keble Road)

Come and join us for the August meeting of the Oxford Open Science
group. We’ve been busy putting together a varied and exciting
programme of speakers, providing a range of perspectives on the key
issues facing academia in the face of the “rising tide of scientific
data”. We’ll be hearing from:

** JULIET RALPH and OLIVER BRIDLE from Oxford’s BODLEIAN LIBRARY,
discussing information seeking amongst students and the current
provision of digital/data management tools (including a discussion of
the recent JISC/British Library report on the working practices of
Generation Y research students);
** ANNA COLLINS from DSPACE CAMBRIDGE, talking about the “long tail in
the shadow of big data”, whose responsibility data management is in
these contexts and how this might develop in the future;
** LAURA NEWMAN from the OPEN KNOWLEDGE FOUNDATION (OKFN), talking
about progress and plans for the newly-launched School of Data;
** JEZ COPE from the DOCTORAL TRAINING CENTRE in SUSTAINABLE CHEMICAL
TECHNOLOGIES at the UNIVERSITY OF BATH, talking about his experiences
in data management and social media training with DTC students.

There’ll be plenty of opportunities for discussion and debate as well,
so please do come and join us, even if you’re only able to drop in for
part of the evening. Those of you looking to enjoy the highly social
side of open science may also like to join us for a drink in one of
the local pubs afterwards. We look forward to welcoming you on
Wednesday!

OOS is a group for anyone interested in open science projects with a
focus on creating useful tools, apps and guidelines alongside building
an Oxford based community with monthly meetups and periodic lectures,
debates and workshops. For more information email
jenny.molloy at zoo.ox.ac.uk or check out the group wiki
http://wiki.okfn.org/Working_Groups/Science/Oxford. You can also find
us on Twitter as @oxopensci.