[open-science-ox] Oxford Open Science Update

Jenny Molloy jenny.molloy at okfn.org
Sun Mar 18 00:12:26 UTC 2012

Dear All

Thank you for signing up to attend the first meeting of Oxford Open Science
or adding your name to the mailing list. It was great to hear about some of
the projects happening around the city and further afield and we hope those
of you who missed out this time will be able to make the next meeting.

There are names, notes and weblinks  on the wiki
http://wiki.okfn.org/Working_Groups/Science/Oxford/15Mar2012 . Anyone is
free to edit so do add anything I missed. There are notes on how to
contibute to the current public consultation on copyright law in the UK,
which could have a positive impact on areas of open science and
particularly the ability to freely text mine the scientific literature. The
consultation ends on 21 March so time is running out to make your views
heard.
Going forward, I'd like to draw your attention to a few aspects of our web
presence:

Wiki: http://wiki.okfn.org/Working_Groups/Science/Oxford
Facebook page (for advertising events):
https://www.facebook.com/groups/251249621636548
Twitter account: @oxopensci
Hashtag: #oxopensci

A website with discussion forum: is coming soon!

We agreed to meet monthly so the next meetup will be in mid-April and
announced very shortly. This will follow a similar format but we'll leave
more time for getting to know each other and freeform discussion.

For those keen to connect to a wider open science community, you might be
interested to check out the OKFN Open Science working group pages
http://science.okfn.org/ and mailing
This is a medium volume list with occassional flurries of activity so do
consider the digest option. For a taste of the kind of discussions that
come up, take a look at the list
archives<http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/open-science/>.
Simon and Victoria have also put up a great resouces on
evolutionofscience.org

That's all for now but look out for further announcements soon!

Jenny