[open-science-ox] Fwd: Oxford Open Science 23 Apr - Nobel Prizes in the Public Domain

Jenny Molloy jenny.molloy at okfn.org
Tue Apr 22 19:37:18 UTC 2014

Hii All

A reminder about tomorrow's Oxford Open Knowledge and Open Science session
- do spread widely and we look forward to seeing you there or you can join
us online via the hackpad <http://okfnpad.org/p/oxopensci-apr2014>

More background on why we're exploring this topic can be found in this blog
post <http://en.okfn.org/2014/04/04/oxford-open-knowledge-april-meetup/>.

Jenny

Nobel Prizes in the Public Domain

Oxford e-Research Centre, 7 Keble Road

Wed 23 Apr, 19:00-20:30

The Nobel prizes are some of the most prestigious awards in the world. From
their inception, they have honoured the most valued contributions to
science, politics and the arts.

The public domain for the scientific papers expires 70 years after the
death of the last author of the paper. Come and join the Oxford Open
Science group for an effort to look at how many papers are open for the
fields of physics and literature from Nobel prize winners.

The aim of the evening is to create a list of the relevant people and their
dates and then search for their papers. Once we have found some, we will
need to list the metadata of the papers, such as title, date, publication
and co-authors with their biographical data. If the paper is open, we can
then mark it as such.