[open-science-ox] Oxford Open Science 2014 - Call for Session Ideas

Jenny Molloy jenny.molloy at okfn.org
Thu Jan 9 17:31:14 UTC 2014

Dear All

Happy New Year! Oxford Open Science will be starting back in February so I
wanted to get your feedback on ideas for sessions. Those who attended the
pub-meet in December came up with some great ones - comments and further
suggestions are very welcome before we start drafting the programme and
inviting speakers:

*Open Data Day *
Sat 22 Feb is Open Data Day <http://opendataday.org/>, the international
open data hackathon so we will hopefully join other groups all over the
world meeting up to open up data or do things with open data (or both!).
This can be any data, but given our focus we'll be aiming for some science
data hacks.
More details to follow but feel free to suggest projects anytime.

One project might be starting an entry for
this<http://www.software.ac.uk/news/2014-01-09-bringing-public-data-life-competition-visualise-uk-publicly-funded-research>competition
to visualise data on publicly funded research in the UK.

*Certification for reproducible research*
Simon Benjamin and Victoria Watson are working on developing a
reproducibility standard to mark and promote papers where the author has
provided enough information for the paper to be reproducible, starting with
computational sciences. The idea was raised to run an evening on what
reproducibility means and how it can be achieved - what standards should we
be aiming for?

*Software Carpentry *Software
Carpentry<http://www.software.ac.uk/software-carpentry>teaches
researchers how to write good code, this could involve us
organising a full two day bootcamp or delivering similarly styled sessions
over a series of evenings. It also has a focus on reproducibility and
reusability.

More generally, hands-on evenings for open science tools were suggested -
let us know what you'd like to see covered!

*Science Code Manifesto*
Nick Barnes created the Science Code
Manifesto<http://sciencecodemanifesto.org/>and a suggestion was made
to invite him to discuss this with us and tell us
how he arrived at this. Nick is a mathematician/computer scientist turned
software engineer and not a climate scientist but developed an interest in
climate modeling and felt that the lack of clarity in modeling software
published by researchers was disrupting public debate about climate change.
He now works with researchers, science communicators, open knowledge
experts and more to push for clearer and open climate code on which to base
public policy.

*Radical approaches to science*
Philanthropists have been funding researchers for centuries and a new breed
in internet entrepreneur funders are claiming that

*Open Innovation*
Unfortunately Chas Bountra need to cancel his talk last year on open
innovation for drug discovery through the Structural Genomics Consortium so
I can contact him to try and reschedule this.

 *Wikimedia and Science*
John is Wikimedian in
Residence<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:GLAM/NHMandSM>at the
Natural History and Science Museum and works with them to release
content relating to exhibitions and the use of Wikipedia for public
understanding of science among many other topics.

Those who attended the meeting, please let me know if I have forgotten
anything and if any has comments or suggestions, do let me know by the *17
January* at which point invitations will be sent out.

Thanks very much and I look forward to seeing you all again this year for
more open science activities.

Jenny