[open-science] CFP: Openness and Higher Ed

Gavin Baker gavin at gavinbaker.com
Fri Nov 21 18:51:42 UTC 2008

(apologies for cross-posting)

http://opencontent.org/blog/archives/663

Call for Papers - Openness and the Future of Higher Education

This Call for Papers is for a theme issue of the International Review of
Research in Open and Distance Learning <www.irrodl.org> entitled:
Openness and the Future of Higher Education. The projected publication
date is October 2009. The Guest Editors are Dr. David Wiley and John Hilton.

The aim of this Special Issue is to further our understanding of the
manner in which the open source, open access, and open education
movements are now and will impact higher education organizations,
learners, and other stakeholders in the future.

Our intent is to stimulate critical debate, encourage collection and
analyses of relevant data, and add to the theoretical foundations used
in policy and planning discussions related to openness within
institutions of higher education. Special consideration will be given to
articles that present analyses and interpretations of empirical data,
but rigorous theoretical submissions will also be considered.

All submissions will be peer reviewed. Those submissions accepted for
publication will be published under Creative Commons license in
www.irrodl.org.

DEADLINES:

* Submission Proposals: January 15, 2009
* Notification of Acceptance: February 15
* Papers Due: May 1
* Peer Reviews Returned: June 30
* Finalized Papers Due: August 1
* Publication Date: October 15

SUBMISSION PROPOSALS

Individual or multiple authors must first submit an abstract-length
proposal of approximately 500-750 words to IRRODL's Managing Editor at
irrodl at athabascau.ca.

Those who have had their abstracts accepted will be formally invited by
the Guest Editors to submit a full-length paper of approximately 5000
words. For IRRODL's submission guidelines, visit:
http://www.irrodl.org/index.php/irrodl/about/submissions

All full-length papers submitted to IRRODL will be subject to multiple
blind peer review. All blind peer reviews will be shared with the
authors. While influenced by the outcome of the blind peer reviews, the
Guest Editors reserve the right to make final publication decisions.

TOPICS MAY INCLUDE:

* Critical perspectives on open education
* Effect of openness on access to educational opportunity
* Evaluation of open educational resources and services
* Issues of affordability and openness
* Issues of quality and localization of open educational resources
* Openness and accreditation
* Openness and future course management systems / personal learning
environments
* Open models for awarding credit or degrees
* Open / peer tutoring and advising models
* Open source, open access, or open education policy in higher education
* Open teaching / massively open online courses ("MOOC")
* Open textbooks
* Social implications of open education
* Structures and patterns of reuse of open educational resources
* Sustainable models of creating and sharing open educational resources
* Unique impact of openness on institutions in developing countries

--
Gavin Baker
http://www.gavinbaker.com/
gavin at gavinbaker.com

As we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be
this we should do freely and generously.
    Benjamin Franklin