[open-science] Open science and OKFN

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Mon Sep 8 23:14:27 UTC 2008

Thanks for your post Oldak!

I'll try and keep my response brief...

  * As mentioned on our blog, this list came out of discussions I had
with Kaitlin Thaney (Science Commons) and Cameron Neylon (Open Wetware).
None of us could think of a mailing list for those with a general
interest in open science. The purpose of setting up this list was to
keep these people in touch with each other. I hope it will become a
relatively low volume list for relevant announcements, queries and other
items of interest. (Our thinking was roughly 'we're all quite busy, but
it would be nice to keep in closer contact'!)

  * The Open Knowledge Foundation aims to promote open knowledge in all
its forms - including scientific publications, research data, and so on.
At the moment our most relevant work is on standards (cf.
http://opendefinition.org and Science Commons' Protocol for OA Data,
http://ur1.ca/55e) and resource discovery (cf. http://ckan.net).
For more on the OKF and open science, see SC's interview with Rufus
Pollock: http://ur1.ca/55f. We are currently planning an event on open
science resource discovery for this autumn. We would very much like to
provide whatever support we can to the open science community. Much of
our work is 'community driven' - so feedback, suggestions, project
proposals and so on are most welcome (probably off-list or on
okfn-discuss would be best)!

  * Regarding your comments on areas of open science, you may be
interested to see Science Commons' 'Principles for open science',
presented in Barcelona in July: http://ur1.ca/55h.

I hope this is helpful!

Warm regards,

Jonathan