[open-science] Looking for Climate Data group editors!

Finn Aarup Nielsen fn at imm.dtu.dk
Mon Dec 21 14:20:20 UTC 2009

On Mon, 21 Dec 2009, Jonathan Gray wrote:

> Anyone interested in helping to maintain an up to date list of key
> climate related datasets?
>
>  http://ckan.net/group/climatedata
>
> This is a collaboration between the Open Knowledge Foundation
> (okfn.org), Clear Climate Code (clearclimatecode.org) and the
> scientists at Real Climate (realclimate.org).

Interesting! I have been looking for such a nice list.

I am wondering about the now famous CRU HadCRUT3 data set.
On this page http://ckan.net/package/uea-cru-hadcrut3 it says that the
data is open. However, on the 'Met office' homepage
http://hadobs.metoffice.com/hadcrut3/terms_and_conditions.html
it says: "The material may be downloaded to file or printer for the
purposes of private study and scientific research. Any other proposed use
of the material is subject to a copyright licence available from the Met
Office".

http://opendefinition.org/1.0 has "The license shall not restrict any
party from selling or giving away the work either on its own or as part of
a package made from works from many different sources."

I would say that the Met Office directly restricts redistribution as
stated in The Open Knowledge Definition.

Maybe a more Open Knowledge compatible license is available from the CRU
web site? However, due to the security breach they now have changed the
web site so the CKAN links does not work.

all the best
Finn

          Finn Aarup Nielsen, DTU Informatics, Denmark
  Lundbeck Foundation Center for Integrated Molecular Brain Imaging
    http://www.imm.dtu.dk/~fn/      http://nru.dk/staff/fnielsen/