[open-science] Openness and Licensing of (Open) Data

John Wilbanks wilbanks at creativecommons.org
Thu Feb 5 16:42:13 GMT 2009

my laptop was stolen yesterday so i am pecking this out on a
smartphone. apologies in advance for typos etc.

i think we have hit the key point on nrms v licenses. they will indeed
encode the same things and create similar problems. the difference is
that licenses further encode the right to obtain a prelinary
injunction for violation, and norms do not.

1. it is easy to imagine that in 14 we have very valuable data web,
and that a db under the eu directive is in there and the owner wants
value now. a lawsuit under ip has the power to bring down lots of
other stuff. this is a very plausible future under a licensing regime
but impossible under a normative regime.

2 the involuntary infringer is liable for damages under licenses, even
if she was not the person who removed attribution or sharealike
clauses two steps back in the data web. if there is monetary value to
be had, this is going to happen. endorsing open licenses = endorsing
enforcement, even is the intent is not to go to court. and if we don't
plan to go to court, why even allow the chance for this?

3. fragmentation. data disciplines vary much more than software. their
norms swing wildly, as do secondary regimes like privacy. creating the
idea that one or two licenses suffice doesn't reflect this - it will
force disciplines to choose between their norms and technolegal
interoperability. and if the norms all get encoded in their own
licenses we will indeed see fragmentation. this scenario also means
that cross discipline mashup will be legally difficult.

norms allow for formal encoding but informal punishment. this
flexibility, when we don't know how this will all play out, just seems
a more wise choice to me. it lets experimentation hapen without fear
of lawsuit, and lets each community encode its ideals without breaking
the power to integrate it al.

in geneal, my instinct is that it is fine if these things *look* like
licenses, as long as the enforcement is not in the courts. we create
enormous potential for negative effects by using ip and courts, for
little return. if i were evil i would be al over setting up a data
troll business, use some easter eggs, and sue for revenue in about
five years. makes patent trolling look like simple street robbery.