[open-science] Openness and Licensing of (Open) Data

Michael Nielsen mn at michaelnielsen.org
Mon Feb 9 20:42:56 GMT 2009

Thankyou for that, Cameron.  I have a tiny little nitpick:

On Mon, 9 Feb 2009, Neylon wrote:

> As Michael has said community enforcement of norms can only be through
> exclusion from the community.

I didn't quite mean to imply that.  Enforcement can be through other means
as well.  Simple disapproval from others is a pretty strong disincentive.
That doesn't necessarily translate into exclusion from the community, just
lower status (and possibly lower pay, reduced possibility of receiving
grants, etc).

Cheers,

Michael