[open-science] Openness and Licensing of (Open) Data

Neylon cameron.neylon at stfc.ac.uk
Thu Feb 5 17:43:49 UTC 2009

Hi All

I think we've come to the nub of the argument in as much as what we are
getting to is the gut response of each of us to licences. Rufus' perspective
I think comes out most in the paragraph

>> Let's be clear: most open licenses whether in software, content or
>> anywhere else aren't 'enforced' (and won't be enforced) by recourse to
>> the courts. Like norms licenses will be primarily enforced by social
>> pressure. Saying use licenses isn't saying: let's settle all our
>> disputes in courts!

The problem is - that as soon as you call it a license then scientists will
largely assume that is exactly what you are saying, and that will provoke a
strong negative response. Call it a protocol, call it a standard, and people
will feel comfortable. Hint that it is contractual and potentially
enforceable and we will do two things. First run in the opposite direction
and second ignore the terms /because/ it is a license.

I visited a university department yesterday and three people separately
freely stated that they had done something technically illegal or in breach
of contract, followed up by the statement "so sue me". Flouting of the rules
imposed by admin and legal people can be a badge of honour in many
scientific communities.

John's view, and to a certain extent mine are summed up by:

> in geneal, my instinct is that it is fine if these things *look* like
> licenses, as long as the enforcement is not in the courts. we create
> enormous potential for negative effects by using ip and courts, for
> little return. if i were evil i would be al over setting up a data
> troll business, use some easter eggs, and sue for revenue in about
> five years. makes patent trolling look like simple street robbery.

The issue here is not whether someone would actually do this - but that
scientists will immediately see the possibility and get disturbed by it.
Remember these are the people who assume that it is more likely that if they
make data available then someone will steal it, write up seventeen Nature
papers, and become a millionaire without crediting them, rather than someone
might make some modest use of it and credit them in the accepted way that we
generally do.

It's an issue of control - if researchers feel they have ownership of this
protocol/standard then there will be fewer barriers to adoption. If there is
a perception that the protocol is "owned" by lawyers, which is what I
believe will happen if it is called a license, then there will be very
strong resistance.

In my view our best chance of promoting best practice and "enforcement" is
through a protocol that funders choose to adopt for the research they
support. This is a much more powerful way of driving researcher behaviour
than through person to person contractual arrangements. I think this also
gives us the best chance of pushing through the idea that data and
collections of data should be explicitly placed in the public domain to
maximise the ability for re-use.

[Do we in fact agree on that incidentally? We haven't really touched on
whether we agree what the idea world would look like. I know Rufus feels
that share alike is acceptable but I don't know whether that means he thinks
it is on balance a good thing.]

[Is the mailing list published to web somewhere or should I repost this
somewhere? I'm very keen to keep the discussion out in the open as it were]

Scanned by iCritical.