[open-science] Openness and Licensing of (Open) Data

Yishay Mor yishaym at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 12:00:23 UTC 2009

I confess, I haven't been able to follow this discussion in detail. Some of
the comments appeared to have a lot of intellectual gravity behind them, but
were simply too long for me to take in. Would anyone care to provide an
executive summary?

I may be off the mark, but I would argue that there's a general principle to
consider here. I hold that any data collected by public money should be made
freely available to the public, for any use that contributes to the public
good. Strikes me as a no-brainer, but of course - we have a long way to go.
If we accept this principle, the licensing follows.

By the way, this may be relevant:
http://www.web2rights.org.uk/

 Yishay Mor, Researcher, London Knowledge Lab
  http://www.lkl.ac.uk/people/mor.html
  http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=yishaym%40gmail.com
  +44-20-78378888 x5737