[open-science] Openness and Licensing of (Open) Data

Michael Nielsen mn at michaelnielsen.org
Mon Feb 9 16:34:44 UTC 2009

On Mon, 9 Feb 2009, Rufus Pollock wrote:

>> statement would look a lot like a license and would aim to have the legal
>> effect of at least providing clarity over the rights of users to copy,
>> re-purpose, and fork the objects in question.
>
> So what happens when you get incompatibility of 'norms'. Does
> 'flexibility' mean I can just ignore the norms as I see fit?

If that's true, then it's not a norm.  You pay a price for norm violation
-- e.g., the price paid by people who violate norms by plagiarizing other
people's work.  Of course, that price can only be extracted on people who
are inside the community where the norm is in force; people outside that
community can flout the norm largely with impunity.

An example of the kind of norm incompatability you're talking about occurs
in cross-disciplinary field, when the different fields have different
norms.  To pick an example I've seen up close, in the theoretical computer
science community authors on papers are usually ordered alphabetically by
surname.  In theoretical physics, author ordering is used to convey
information about contribution, and it can be very important (sometimes
the deciding factor, in extreme cases) for jobs etc.  This norm
incompatability can cause considerable difficulties when people from the
two communities collaborate.  Much though certainly not all of that
difficulty can be overcome by negotiation.

Michael