[open-science] Openness and Licensing of (Open) Data

Dorothea Salo dsalo at library.wisc.edu
Tue Feb 10 17:34:56 UTC 2009

Possibly-ignorant questions about share-alike:

I am a social science researcher. I do a human-subjects study,
properly anonymize the dataset, and publish it under a share-alike
license.

My colleague at another institution then protests that she can't use
the dataset because she will be combining her own human-subjects work
with it, and her IRB insists that such datasets as hers not be
published at all, even anonymized, owing to questions of privacy.

Is this a plausible scenario? If so, is it what we want?

Dorothea

Dorothea Salo                dsalo at library.wisc.edu
Digital Repository Librarian      AIM: mindsatuw
University of Wisconsin
Rm 218, Memorial Library
(608) 262-5493