[open-science] Openness and Licensing of (Open) Data

Bill Hooker cwhooker at fastmail.fm
Tue Feb 10 21:05:09 UTC 2009

> In today's environment, though,
> this scenario could mean the researcher who freely shares (but not
> sharealike) is at a disadvantage when it comes to competing for jobs,
> research grants, and awards.

Everyone has their "scooping" horror story or ten, but the only
real-life Open Science efforts I know of (Bradley, Neylon) are textbook
examples of finding collaborators who would otherwise have never been
reachable, and have had no problem whatsoever with bad actors.

That is, if we're taking competition into account, the evidence to date
is that sharing makes a researcher *more*, not less, competitive.  More
such evidence is probably the best way to encourage a culture of
sharing/use of the public domain in research.

best,

B.