[open-science] Fwd: Biodiversity Databases Spread, Prompting Unification Call

John Wilbanks wilbanks at creativecommons.org
Wed Jul 1 12:09:06 UTC 2009

Yes, EoL has had some of the same problems as others in culture,
thinking that CC licenses are internally compatible, which they of
course are not. SA licenses from CC are only compatible with themselves,
for example.

See "If I use a Creative Commons-licensed work to create a new work (ie
a derivative work or adaptation), which Creative Commons license can I
use for my new work?" on our FAQ and that we blogged at

jtw

Rufus Pollock wrote:
> Do you mean: is this an open science issue? Very much yes!
>
> As usual, it seems the main sticking point is going to be sorting out
> an agreed open license for the material ...
>
> Last time I looked at the license situation on e.g. EoL seemed fairly
> confusing with any one of main CC licenses (accepted) -- even though
> some of these are mutually incompatible! More details on:
>
> <http://www.ckan.net/package/read/eol>
>
> Rufus
>
> 2009/6/26 Tim Schweizer <Tim.Schweizer at luther.edu>:
>> Is open-science part of this?
>> -Tim
>>
>> Tim Schweizer, Ph.D.
>> Office: (001) 563.387.1131
>> Mobile: (001) 563.581.9716
>> E-mail: Tim.Schweizer at luther.edu
>>

>> Science 26 June 2009:
>> Vol. 324. no. 5935, pp. 1632 - 1633
>> DOI: 10.1126/science.324_1632News of the Week
>>
>> Biodiversity Databases Spread, Prompting Unification Call
>>
>> Claire Thomas
>>
>> Scientists increasingly recognize the value of collaborative, open-access
>> data sharing for understanding the world. But there's still a wide gap
>> between wanting to share and figuring out how to do it right, discovered
>> those who attended an international meeting on biodiversity this month. The
>> goal of e-Biosphere 09, a meeting for creators and users of the Encyclopedia
>> of Life, the Consortium for the Barcode of Life, the Catalogue of Life, and
>> other major efforts to build and manage open-access biodiversity databases,
>> was to figure out how to combine data from at least 100 systems into one
>> gigantic, online, open-access database that will eventually cover all life
>> on Earth, with lots of information, including primary research. But whether
>> these researchers are ready to create one-stop shopping for biodiversity
>> remains to be seen.

John Wilbanks

VP for Science, Creative Commons
http://creativecommons.org
http://sciencecommons.org
http://neurocommons.org

"We make sharing easy, legal, and scalable."