[open-science] Open Source Science? Or Distributed Science?

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Sat Oct 31 11:15:16 UTC 2009

Interesting article from John Wilbanks!

Jonathan

---

Open Source Science? Or Distributed Science?
Posted on: October 30, 2009 8:58 AM, by John Wilbanks
http://scienceblogs.com/commonknowledge/2009/10/open_source_science_or_distrib.php

I was asked in an interview recently about "open source science" and
it got me thinking about the ways that, in the "open" communities of
practice, we frequently over-simplify the realities of how software
like GNU/Linux actually came to be. Open Source refers to a software
worldview. It's about software development, not a universal truth that
can be easily exported. And it's well worth unpacking the worldview to
understand it, and then to look at the realities of open source
software as they map - or more frequently do not map - to science.

--
Jonathan Gray

Community Coordinator
The Open Knowledge Foundation