[open-science] Open Knowledge Conference (OKCon) in London on 24th April 2010

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Apr 23 07:22:35 UTC 2010

I'm giving a talk on Open Knowledge and Science at OKCon tomorrow and
would like to highlight some of the very recent developments. However
I don't want to clash with others. I am particularly interested in
presenting:
* The Open bibliography proposal ( which we submitted this week)
jointly from OKF and Dept of Chemistry.
* The Panton Principles (OKF)
* IsItOpen (OKF)

and an more general review of what we need to do to REALLY make
science Open. We saw last week from Stefano Costa (nice work, thanks)

http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/okfn-discuss/2010-April/007238.html

that most of bioscience is NOT Open.

I sort of knew this already but not in detail. The main problems are:

* ignorance
* antiquity (the "rules" were often formulated 20 years ago)
* technical inertia (it's not totally trivial to relicence data)
* hidden agendas (we want to control this data)

So this my agenda:
* Science is not actually Open
* Most scientists do not understand the issues
* Many are well disposed to adopt Openness once it's been explained
(but some are deliberately not!)
* Open Access publishers are not generally aware of the issues; they
need guidance
* Some funders are aware; but all need guidance
* Closed access publishers will require a lot of engagement. A few are
sympathetic but have inertia; many are hostile and some are worse.
* Individuals can do a LOT!

If that overlaps badly with others please let me know.

FWIW I do NOT use Powerpoint
(http://ilovecharts.tumblr.com/post/450388944/brownpau-everytime-you-make-a-powerpoint)
but tailor my presentation to the people at the meeting. See:

Really looking forward to it.

P.