[open-science] CC Public Domain Mark

John Wilbanks wilbanks at creativecommons.org
Thu Aug 12 15:32:03 UTC 2010

Apologies for cross-posting.

I thought everyone should be aware of the new Creative Commons Public Domain Mark and the ability to perform cut-and-paste citation from inside the CC0 "human readable" deed. I have detailed the work in a blog post at http://scienceblogs.com/commonknowledge/2010/08/i_am_cribbing_significant_amou.php - please feel free to ask me questions directly if you are interested.

We expect to build a significant amount of normative infrastructure around the citation capability in our partnerships with the larger open science players who are already using CC0, such as Sage Bionetworks (hopefully this will provide some useful functionality to the Sage Cite project), Personal Genome Project, Polar Information Commons, and our emerging work on open energy and climate change data. And hopefully the PDM mark will begin to gain some traction with larger, governmental entities in the coming months to ensure that the bedrock of open data is as open as it can be...

jtw