[open-science] State of "Is it Open Data"?

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Aug 31 13:07:48 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 1:42 PM, Heather Piwowar <hpiwowar at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> PMR and I (on behalf of OKN) sent a few IsItOpenData enquiries yesterday
> (BMC, PLoS, Nature, Mendeley), and already have one very positive response
> from PLoS<http://www.isitopendata.org/enquiry/view/78d7400e-6d5e-4510-aff1-0d106bb9fcfa/>
> .

This is great. They say they have to be clearer about data, so I think we
should push them gently on the actual factual questions and also persuade
them to add licences/buttons.

> I have two service functionality questions/suggestions to add to those
> below, based on using the system:
>
>    1. My link-heavy enquiry email unfortunately tends to be identified as
>    Spam.  We might want to alert enquiry-writers to this possibility on the
>    composition page, and either suggest they use few links or send an
>    out-of-band personal email to give the recipient a heads-up.  Of course this
>    increases the likelihood of (c) below.  Any other suggestions to avoid spam
>    filters?
>    2. Are the enquiry-writers alerted when they receive a response?  It
>    doesn't appear so.  This is quite inconvenient, and could lead to delayed or
>    incomplete resolution.  Would it be easy to add?
>
> This was all done with volunteer labour, I think. We would really love
continuing volunteers to take this on. It may be that we can seek funding if
this is seen as a success but I think we have to do this ourselves at
present. So:
.... IIOD is clearly a valuable OKF function... please volunteer to help
enhance it even further