No subject

Sun Dec 12 18:29:16 UTC 2010

This trend continues with new activities from NCEAS and the DataONE project.
 For example, we just held two workshops at this month's ESA meeting, one on
Data use and re-use that drew 51 scientists, and one on writing Data
Management plans that drew 212 participants.  We have upcoming workshops of
this sort at the Environmental Information Management workshop in September,
at Super Computing 2011 in November, and at the American Geophysical Union
meeting in December. Slides and information on these DataONE activities are
here:

https://www.dataone.org/trainings

Hope this is helpful in some way.
Matt

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 8:11 AM, Heather Piwowar <hpiwowar at gmail.com> wrote:

>> # Open Science/Open Data at Science Conferences
>> Iain Hrynaszkiewicz is keen to find out whether open science and open
>> data in science are presented at conferences that are not specifically
>> aimed at the open community. If you have seen it done, have entered a
>> proposal or know of any others who have then do start a conversation
>> on the list. It would be useful to compare experiences to find out how
>> best to approach this and get more exposure for the ideas of open
>> data/open science.
>>

> I'm familiar with a few add-on workshops, birds-of-a-feature sessions, and
> community forums set up adjacent to or within traditional conferences:
>
>    - Open Science workshop 2009 <http://psb09openscience.wordpress.com/>,
>    one day before the Pacific Symposium on Biocomputing.
>    - Open (Notebook) Science birds-of-a-feather<http://researchremix.wordpress.com/2007/07/18/ismb-2007-bof-open-notebook-science/> at
>    2007 ISMB (followup<http://researchremix.wordpress.com/2007/08/07/summary-of-ons-bof-at-ismb/#comments>
>    )
>    - Data archiving and Open notebook sessions<http://researchremix.wordpress.com/2010/07/05/evolution-2010-and-ievobio-recap/>at Evolution and iEvoBio 2010
>    - Open Science birds-of-a-feather<http://researchremix.wordpress.com/2010/07/12/recap-of-ievobio-bof-on-open-science-data-sharing-reuse-credit/>at iEvoBio 2010
>    - Community Forum on Reproducible Research<http://kingkong.amath.washington.edu/rrforum/>right before ICIAM 2011
>    - there was a panel proposal about Open Notebook Science submitted to
>    iConference 2011 but it wasn't accepted
>
> I think there was a workshop at a neuro conference before 2007 but I can't
> easily find the link.
>
> I've also presented my research into open data availability as solo
> presentations/posters at several traditional science and infosci
> conferences, for what that is worth.
>
> Heather
>
> --
> Heather Piwowar
>
> DataONE postdoc with NESCent and Dryad
>   studying research data sharing and reuse
>   remotely from Dept of Zoology, UBC, Vancouver Canada
> http://researchremix.org
> @researchremix <http://twitter.com/#!/researchremix>

--0016e6d99ba9b5171c04aae169da

There have been lots of data sharing and data management activities over th=
e last decade in ecology and environmental science. =A0For example, we have=
 sponsored open data sharing and management workshops at the Ecological Soc=
iety of America annual conference since about 2000, held training sessions =
for scientists on how to expose data in networks like the Knowledge Network=
 for Biocomplexity since about the same time, and held professional develop=
ment activities around exposing scientists at field stations and early care=
er faculty on principals of data sharing and tools for data sharing. =A0As =
a rough estimate, our group of collaborators has probably held 30-40 worksh=
op activities of this type aimed at science audiences since roughly 2000.<d=
iv>
4:=A0<a href=3D"http://knb.ecoinformatics.org/knbworkshop.jsp">http://knb.e=
coinformatics.org/knbworkshop.jsp</a></div>
=A0<a href=3D"http://seek.ecoinformatics.org/Wiki.jsp%3Fpage=3DRCNTrainingO=
ctober17November2003.html">http://seek.ecoinformatics.org/Wiki.jsp%3Fpage=
=3DRCNTrainingOctober17November2003.html</a></div>
 the DataONE project. =A0For example, we just held two workshops at this mo=
nth&#39;s ESA meeting, one on Data use and re-use that drew 51 scientists, =
and one on writing Data Management plans that drew 212 participants. =A0We =
have upcoming workshops of this sort at the Environmental Information Manag=
ement workshop in September, at Super Computing 2011 in November, and at th=
e American Geophysical Union meeting in December. Slides and information on=
 these DataONE activities are here:</div>
011 at 8:11 AM, Heather Piwowar <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:hpi=