No subject

Sun Dec 12 18:29:16 UTC 2010

iring and salary freezes, furloughs, salary cuts, layoffs, nonrenewals, red=
uction and elimination of academic programs and colleges, revision of curri=
cula, changes in academic policy, elimination of tenure, substantial change=
s in workload&quot;...<br>

As a personal story, lack of financial security is one of the reasons why I=
 use CC-NC. The vast majority of my own work is not funded at all. This is =
increasingly common in the social sciences and humanities. There could be a=
 point in time where I might have good reason to want to try to sell some o=
f my work, to pay my rent and grocery bills. Not that I personally am that =
important, but the measures mentioned above indicate that I have plenty of =
company. Like most scholars and publishers, I am the 99%.<br>

If I gave away my work and saw that someone else had sold it and kept the p=
rofits for themselves, I would be MAD. Not only at them - but also at anyon=
e who told me that I should give away my work. If I was among those who wer=
e recently laid off, and I saw someone else profiting off my work, I would =
be REALLY REALLY MAD. Wouldn&#39;t you?<br>

Publishers also need resources in order to produce work, whether this is pa=
id, volunteer, or in-kind. There are some areas where funding is generous a=
nd full support for OA via article processing fees may well be feasible. Ho=
wever, in many scholarly areas funding is much less generous, and publisher=
s may NEED to reserve commercial rights. Even with the well-funded areas, i=
f publishers develop hybrid revenue streams by reserving commercial rights,=
 that might well make it possible to offer more affordable article processi=
ng fees to academia.<br>

Regarding CC abandoning NC: I am trying to recommend to CC (if I can get re=
gistered to speak) that they adjust the licenses rather than abandoning NC.=
 For example, if there is concern that people are interpreting NC as not in=
cluding educational rights, then add a statement to the NC license along th=
e lines of &quot;Education is not commercial&quot;. Not only would this imp=
rove the NC license, in the long term I believe that this will add to suppo=
rt for good overall copyright licensing on an international level, as educa=
tion should be understood as noncommercial, period. If CC abandons NC, I wo=
uld have to abandon CC. (I would like to note that I am a strong supporter =
of CC today - I speak out for CC, use the licenses, encourage others to do =
so, and contribute to the annual donation campaign).<br>

While we are on the topic of CC licensing, some comments about the other el=
ements:<br>
SA: this is necessary to ensure that authors, their publishers and institut=
ions, who give away their works have access to derivatives built on them. T=
his is not just a third-world problem. I hear that there have been severe f=
unding cuts to higher education even in the UK.<br>

Noderivatives: there are valid scholarly reasons why noderivatives may some=
times be a superior license. One example is the area at the boundary of pha=
rmacology and toxicology. Here, relying on an imperfect translation could k=
ill people. Another is that in some scholarly areas, such as literature and=
 art, creative expression is the very heart of the scholarship. It strikes =
me that many scholars would be more likely to share their work if they felt=
 comfortable that they had the right to insist on no derivatives.<br>

I hope this message gets through to the list - my last two messages to the =
open science list don&#39;t seem to have gone through.<br>
best,<br>
Heather Morrison, MLIS<br>
Doctoral Candidate, Simon Fraser University School of Communication<br>
The Imaginary Journal of Poetic Economics<br>