[open-science] Open Science Microformats/Pattern languages? was Re: Launch of the Panton Principles for Open Data in Science + Is It Open Data?

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 20:21:17 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 2:18 PM, Jack Park wrote:
> Speculative question: what would a microformat, or family of
> microformats for open science look like? What pattern language(s)--to
> borrow from Christopher Alexander--is(are) in play here?

Many microformats are already out there. I think a good idea would be
to figure out (1) what formats are already out there, (2) what the
pain points are in publishing scientific data *as well as*
supplementary information in standard ways, and (3) what people don't
tend to know about but should, or don't use but should (like if it's
hard or painful, etc).

I have lately become a huge fan of YAML, JSON, etc., but to each his
own (srsly). At the very least, in many situations I would be happy
with XML, which is a drastic improvement over binary-encoded files and
proprietary data formats.

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
1 512 203 0507