[open-science] [Open Manufacturing] Fwd: [get.theinfo] ANN: datapkg (v0.5) - a tool for distributing, discovering and installing data "packages"

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 21:58:27 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 3:51 PM, John Griessen wrote:
> Bryan Bishop wrote:
>> There's already some room in the spec for versions of the data
>> packages, but at the moment I don't know whether or not the data
>> packages themselves are git, mercurial or some other dcvs
>> repositories.
>
> I asked about version handling at their site.  Do you think of using
> their system along with SKDB?

For the time being, I am waiting on their response on that front. In
particular, I am most interested in material and chemical data and
other data that can be used to help populate SKDB, but- on the other
hand- broad data like politics, sports statistics, etc., doesn't
necessarily fit into the grand scheme of SKDB. We'll see.. I'm hoping
to hear back from Rufus or Jonathan.

> Where does SKDB assume one will put SKDB data
> of which version?

Right now, SKDB packages are downloaded into ~/.skdb/packages/ but
this can be configured in the config.yaml file in the base directory
of SKDB. Presumably, when you want to share with a single individual,
you'd just do normal dcvs transfer stuff and give them access to pull
the file from you (or you to push it); the web server, on the other
hand, provides another option for users to submit and push
repositories on their own, much like the case with gitorious, github,
etc.

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
1 512 203 0507