[open-science] Open Science Microformats/Pattern languages? was Re: Launch of the Panton Principles for Open Data in Science + Is It Open Data?

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Feb 24 12:14:14 UTC 2010

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 8:31 AM, John Wilbanks <wilbanks at creativecommons.org
> wrote:

> Sorry to be pedantic here, but if you do not use a legal tool, you are
> not in compliance with the principles. In the absence of a legal tool
> the data *are not open* by default, especially in the uk and the eu.
> These principles will mean very little if the data they attach to are
> not legally open.

OK - can we have a button which automatically applies a licence to the data?
Perhaps a different colour. As we discussed it is often difficult to
actually attach a licence to many data items. If the button links to a copy
of a licence that should be OK. I use a CC button which links to a licence
and I assume that is OK, so is it not just a matter of editing what is under
the button. If it's harder than that then Opendata will be too hard.

P.