[open-science] Fwd: Export Control setting for SourceForge.net projects

Cameron Neylon cameron.neylon at stfc.ac.uk
Fri Jul 2 07:24:33 UTC 2010

>> This actually something someone else recently mentioned to me. From
>> the OKF end, people could run their own KForge
>> (http://www.kforgeproject.com/) instance to host their projects or use
>> the service we run at http://knowledgeforge.net -- though we're
>> probably not geared to provide the capacity of something like
>> sourceforge ...
>
> I wonder if there are enough of us that care about this, to gather
> some support for developing kforge further as a competitor to the
> likes of google code and github?

I can see this becoming a bigger issue in two areas - there are those who
want to localise data/code in either the US or Europe to avoid specific
regulations in both places (patriot act, database rights, privacy
protections) as well as issues like this where the issue is export. So such
things would certainly be valuable. Amazon have European localised services
for this reason.

Question is whether setting up an alternate is better/more cost effective
than working with existing players to set up European instances?

Cheers

Cameron

--
Scanned by iCritical.