[open-science] OKF: What shall I say at the Open Science Summit in Berkeley

Cameron Neylon cameron.neylon at stfc.ac.uk
Wed Jul 7 06:18:22 UTC 2010

> Not to spoil the 5 petals idea, but there is also what I've taken to
> calling open community --- the idea that science can potentially benefit
> from the input of people who traditionally would be called non-scientists.
> The Galaxy Zoo project is an outstanding example.

If you really want to overload the analogy I would see this as the
complement of advocacy, returning back to the centre from the 'outside'. The
sun providing the energy for the whole process.

What you're describing is an attitude, an openess even, to ideas and
contributions regardless of their source. It's not just community, or amazon
turk style clicking, building forums, or valuing research done by
non-professionals, but also funding of different types.

I'd still see this consistent with the 'petals' as defined and measurable
activities, and the "core" and the "outside/sun" representing attitudes that
as you say will drive the adoption and development of the activities...

> I certainly agree that advocacy is the core --- the fundamental task of
> open science, in my opinion, is changing the hearts and minds of the
> scientific community about the best ways of doing science.  If that can be
> achieved, then all else will follow.

...and this is both advocacy and openess to outside perspectives and
value...

--
Scanned by iCritical.