[open-science] Times Higher Education article on opening up research data

Lance McKee lmckee at opengeospatial.org
Mon Jul 19 20:08:37 UTC 2010

Re:

> so maybe it all comes back to better ways of annotating data.
I think it all comes down to science funders requiring metadata, and
requiring metadata that conforms to standards. Each discipline's data
coordination body, coordinating with other data coordinating bodies,
needs to look at ISO metadata standards, open source and proprietary
metadata tools, standards for encoding data and standards for
interfaces on software that produces or ingests data.

For geospatial data, for example, there are the ISO 19115 and ISO
19119 metadata standards and OGC standards, including the OGC
("OpenGIS") Observations and Measurements Encoding Standard (O&M) (http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/om
) .

In a Web services world, we will discover that the distinction betwee
"data files" and "metadata files" is an artifact of primitive 20th
century computer technology. There should be no distinction between
these, other than distinctions for the parts of a record, such as we
have for books: front cover and title, copyright page, title page,
table of contents, dedication page and acknowledgments, preface,
introduction, body, footnotes, index, glossary, back cover.  Is such a
structure too complex for today's digital science documents?

Speak up and be bold, data curators, and coordinate like our planetary
lease depended on it!

Lance

Lance McKee
Senior Staff Writer
Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC)
508-752-0108
lmckee at opengeospatial.org

The OGC: International Location Standards