[open-science] Climate Change

Lance McKee lmckee at opengeospatial.org
Tue Jun 15 12:42:32 UTC 2010

Peter,

I call your attention to one activity of the Open Geospatial
Consortium (OGC): the GEOSS Architecture Implementation Pilot 3
(AIP-3) data sharing activity: http://sites.google.com/a/aip3.ogcnetwork.net/home/home/aip-3-kickoff/data-sharing-guidelines
  .

There are many in the OGC (http://www.opengeospatial.org) who share
your concerns about climate data. OGC runs a consensus process in
which government and private sector organizations collaborate to
develop open interfaces and encodings that enable, among other things,
sharing of geospatial data, including climate data. I think the OGC is
likely to play an important role in the opening up of climate science.

I invite you to look through a presentation in which I gathered my
learnings and musings about the importance, feasibility and
inevitability of persistent and open publishing of scientific
geospatial data: http://portal.opengeospatial.org/files/?artifact_id=37254
  .

Lance McKee
Senior Staff Writer
Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC)
508-752-0108
lmckee at opengeospatial.org

The OGC: International Location Standards