[open-science] Climate Change

Tom Moritz tom.moritz at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 19:14:21 UTC 2010

Thanks for this John --
In recent months, I have been speaking (UCB, UCDavis, CalTech) on the theme
"Data as Evidence" -- my intention is to broaden our concerns -- as you do
in your comment...  In using this terminology I am attempting to co opt the
force of argument for "evidence-based" policy...

Respecting terminology, I have been (in the biodiversity community) using
the rubric of "free, open and *effective* " access and use of data. I think
"*effective*" is perhaps better than "*useful*" because it is less
value-laden (?) and implies support for the ability to take and use, to test
and evaluate and validate -- these are actions *assumed to be necessary* as
a part of scientific practice but far too rarely actually practiced.

( Of course *observational* data (as opposed to *experimental *data) pose
problems in that they represent discrete, unique events -- that are by
definition not replicable?  This is where we must rely on both the scope  of
sampling geographically and chronologically ("longitudinally") to evaluate
anomalies.

The import of my focus on "evidence" is that *data are evidential* both in
the *logic of science* and in the *political process of policy formation and
decision making* -- though, I believe that different standards of proof
apply scientifically (where the notion of probability and levels of
confidence apply) and politically -- where I believe something more like the
Anglo-American legal standard of *reasonable doubt* has force (particularly
where acceptance of scientific projections has huge implications for vested
economic power and wealth -- as in the case of climate change).

In my view the special burden that we assume when we move from the *realm of
scientific discourse *to the *realm of political discourse* is created by
problems of scientific literacy in the body politic *and* by the difficulty
many scientists have in formulating their scientific hypotheses in ways that
are readily understandable. (Scientists are, in one sense, rewarded for
their ability to conduct esoteric discourse...)

I believe that the "problem set" we face is something like this:

-- Clear and rigorous expression of the logic of scientific investigation
(including logically supportable alternative hypotheses)
-- Rigorous definition of the evidence that is deemed sufficient to support
one or another hypothesis.
-- Definition of the specific forms of data that provide this  evidence
[At the American Museum of Natural History, a paper was published a few
years ago that in my opinion is a good indicator of how this should be done
SEE: RS Voss and L Emmons,  “Mammalian diversity in Neotropical lowland
rainforests : a preliminary assessment.”  Bulletin of the AMNH ; no. 230
[New York] : American Museum of Natural History, 1996. -- It's freely
available at teh AMNH Library DSpace site  --
http://digitallibrary.amnh.org/dspace/handle/2246/1671 ]
-- Rigorous definition of the methodology -- including apparatus,
calibrations, competence -- necessary to obtain data
-- Rigorous documentation of the actual data collection (I believe that this
can be expressed using work flow applications like Kepler...?)
-- Documentation of the data management procedures -- including capture,
storage, transformations -- this is broadly the issue of lineage and
provenance (many statistical packages including automated "scripting" that
captures this information)
-- publicly intelligible representation of the data (and of all the
preceding documentation)
-- clear argumentation on the basis of this evidence in favor of one or
alternative policies with appropriate risk assessments

Many of these elements are in place (or under development) but they are not
(to my knowledge) coherently expressed as required practice...?

I believe that, at the very least, for certain *canonical *data sets
[Climate Change???] we have an absolute obligation to satisfy these
requirements...

Tom

Tom Moritz
1968 1/2 South Shenandoah Street,
Los Angeles, California 90034-1208  USA
+1 310 963 0199 (cell)
tommoritz (Skype)
http://www.linkedin.com/in/tmoritz

“Πάντα ῥεῖ καὶ οὐδὲν μένει” (Everything flows, nothing stands still.)
--Heraclitus