[open-science] open-science Digest, Vol 17, Issue 7

Iain Hrynaszkiewicz Iain.Hrynaszkiewicz at biomedcentral.com
Fri Mar 26 16:16:08 UTC 2010

Dear Chris,

Thanks for your reply. I think my comment may have been taken out of
context.

I don't mean to suggest we should be using consent as a reason to go
ahead and share identifiable information at will. When we can perturb
data so that its statistical value is retained but individual anonymity
protected, I agree that this is the best approach. But this is not
always possible or appropriate. As anonymity is so hard to achieve with
certainty, when there is a non-negligible risk that individuals might be
identified from published information we must obtain consent for
publication of that data. As well as data protection legislation journal
publishers and editors subscribe to codes of ethics that require consent
for publication of identifiable information, and that only data that are
scientifically relevant are shared (published). So editors should still
make every effort to preserve anonymity (by removing details not
relevant to the science of the article in question) *and* obtain
consent, unless data are anonymous with certainty (very hard to
achieve). The classic example is the medical case report but this has
become increasingly recognised in clinical research in general. The BMJ
now has a policy (informed by the guidelines I referred to earlier in
this thread) whereby any article including 3 or more indirect
identifiers (from a list of 28 potential items), such as age or sex,
must document whether consent for publication/data sharing was obtained.
Data tables in clinical research articles often include this level of
detail.

http://resources.bmj.com/bmj/bmj/authors/types-of-article/research
"We also strongly support the view that researchers should seek informed
consent to data sharing from research participants upfront, at the
recruitment stage. There are good ethical and practical reasons for
doing so. Even if the investigators have no current plans to share raw
data, at some future time data sharing may become the norm. If so,
sharing will be much easier if no one has to try to seek consent
retrospectively.

Consent is particularly important because participants may be
identifiable in a dataset - even an "anonymised" one that does not
contain names or addresses. The combination of three or more indirect
identifiers such as age, sex, and an unusual clinical detail may be
enough for at least the participant, or another interested party, to
recognise themselves.

Therefore, please provide at the end of your manuscript a data sharing
statement such as:

"Data sharing: technical appendix, statistical code, and dataset
available from the corresponding author at <email address or url>.
Participants gave informed consent for data sharing [or ...consent was
not obtained but the presented data are anonymised and risk of
identification is low... or consent was not obtained but the potential
benefits of sharing these data outweigh the potential harms because...]"

Best wishes,

Iain

Iain Hrynaszkiewicz
Managing Editor