[open-science] IsItOpen letter for feedback

Heather Piwowar hpiwowar at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 13:30:32 UTC 2010

Hi Egon,

We did indeed get a response from PLoS and BMC.  Haven't heard from Nature.
 Also, in response to a slightly different email about open API data,
Mendeley clarified their open data policies.

The summary of the PLoS and BMC response is on the new OKFN science blog:
http://science.okfn.org/2010/09/13/bmc-and-plos-all-the-data-is-cc-by-enjoy/

I have plans to do a quick writeup of the Mendeley response and also a "tips
for IsItOpenData enquiries" post to summarize what I learned about avoiding
spam filters etc.  I'll finish those Real Soon Now.

Alas I don't have time at this point to send the letter out to other
publishers, though others are certainly welcome to!  Let me know if I can be
of help.  Anita de Waard had useful suggestions about making the definition
of metadata looser before we send it out to commercial publishers.  The most
recent version of the letter on etherpad incorporates this feedback:
http://okfnpad.org/isitopenLetters

Cheers,
Heather

--

Heather Piwowar
* *

* *

* *

* *

* *
*

DataONE postdoc with NESCent and Dryad

**

remote from Dept of Zoology, UBC, Vancouver Canada

**

hpiwowar at nescent.org

** **

http://researchremix.org