[open-science] Brief persuasive case for open science/data sharing?

Chris Rusbridge c.rusbridge at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 14 13:53:42 UTC 2010

I've gone back to this, as my FAQ develops. The problem is, I think, that there is a significant difference between making data open once the research is published (or as part of publication), and making data either open or even available during a project, in advance of publication. FoI does bring the risk that researchers may be forced to make their data available before they have finished the research, even to their rivals. (Of course there are exemptions which may be able to be invoked in some circumstances.)

The "Open Science" approach such as Cameron Neylon advocates is closer to this, if perhaps a bit more extreme. (By this I mean that I understand Open Science to want to put all data in the open as it is gathered, rather than making some data identified by a requester available under FoI when asked.)

So is there a persuasive case for making data available during your research, before publication?

--
Chris Rusbridge
Mobile: +44 791 7423828
Email: c.rusbridge at gmail.com