[open-science] (Lack of) data sharing for fossil data

cameron.neylon at stfc.ac.uk cameron.neylon at stfc.ac.uk
Fri Apr 15 07:39:48 UTC 2011

I've had a couple of chats to Ross Mounce who was the instigator of the open letter that tipped off this article. He's aware of (and involved with) Dryad UK and I also pointed him in the general direction of OKFN. Given his main focus at the moment was data to do with published articles Dryad (and DataONE) seem like a good place to start for him. His main task really is getting a bit more community backing behind the idea that _something_ needs to be done and he seems to be doing a good job on that.

Cheers

Cameron

On 14 Apr 2011, at 20:59, Matt Jones wrote:

> Definitely interesting.  The article also didn't mention PaleoDB (http://paleodb.org/), one of the main international data sharing efforts in paleontology, crossing all taxa, with replica sites in Australia, Germany, and two sites in the US.  Its a voluntary effort, so differs somewhat from the journal mandated sharing described in the article, but still I would think it deserved a mention.  Its quite a bit more targeted than MorphBank for this topical area.
>
> Do you know if the Open Dinosaur project is contributing their specimen measurements to the broader PaleoDB?
>
> Getting these types of data repository systems to interoperate, expose data to each other, and be able to provide persistence and replication services to each other are some of the goals of the DataONE federation (see http://dataone.org).  Dryad, mentioned in the article, is one of the founding nodes in DataONE. If DataONE is successful, when researchers choose to use one repository for their data, they won't be contributing to a single repository, but rather to a federation that allows data to persist beyond the lifetime of the individual repository project they choose.  Seems pretty compatible with OKFN goals to me.
>
> Matt
>
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 6:23 AM, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:
> Interesting article on data sharing in Palaeontology:
> <http://www.nature.com/news/2011/110411/full/472150a.html>
>
> Made me think of the excellent Open Dinosaur project:
>
> <http://ckan.net/package/open-dino>
> <http://opendino.wordpress.com/>
>
> Rufus

Scanned by iCritical.