[open-science] (Lack of) data sharing for fossil data

Ross Mounce ross.mounce at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 15:23:08 UTC 2011

> Being allowed to extract our (i.e. the scientific community) own data from
our own publications without being sued. It's a sad fact that > one of the
miain functions of the OKF is to enlighten the world that almost everything
is not open and to encourage them to work towards it.

> Not enough people care yet.

Well said Peter! From my own experiences I couldn't agree more. May I steer
this discussion onto a related topic : http://www.isitopendata.org/

I want to encourage data in my community to be explicitly and properly
licenced in an 'as-open-as-possible' way.
To this end, I made my first foray in to IsItOpenData enquiries:
http://www.isitopendata.org/enquiry/view/6841b8b2-8fc8-4165-8ac4-6f699a68e3ab/

<http://www.isitopendata.org/enquiry/view/6841b8b2-8fc8-4165-8ac4-6f699a68e3ab/>It's
been rather a long time now, and I still have had no reply. What do you
think I should do next? I'm actually going on a PaleoDB training course
later this month. John Alroy himself won't be there but people only slightly
lower down the chain-of-command will...

Any tips?

Ross