[open-science] Organising an open data event at SWAT4LS Workshop (London, December 2011)

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Apr 28 23:56:44 UTC 2011

It will certainly work, if we prepare the ground. Ben has explored the
malaria open papers and I think this is a very good starting point for
several different reasons...
* it's feasible, there's a critical mass of information available. The term
"malaria" is much more precise than some other medical terms so
preision/recall is good
* it's a global challenge and inclusive. We could do some really valuable
OSM stuff
* everyone has heard of it
* there's a chance that it could link up to other funded efforts (e.g. Mat
Todd's Open Drug initiative)

To prepare we need to get a critical group of us physically together and
prepare some working material. Ben's stuff is a really good start and should
act to bring people in for later hackfests. For the main event we already
need an infrastructure that people can add to - hackfests are not always
good at creating a viable infrastructure. We need something with the feel of
OSM mapping parties where the vision has been implemented in part and
volunteers can easily add to it.