[open-science] Balisage poster on evolving nature of STM publishing and journal articles

Maloney, Christopher (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [C] maloneyc at ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
Tue Aug 2 13:59:58 UTC 2011

Hi,

I threw this together last night, and put it up as a "poster" at Balisage, the Markup conference (ongoing as I write):
http://www.slideshare.net/Klortho/poster-8751296

I had hoped to spend more time on it and send out this email earlier to solicit suggestions, but I just didn't have time.  So it is not as strong as I would have liked.

My idea is basically that opening up the article XML formats to ease the ability to do extensions and customizations can help the cause of open science.  In practice, there's a lot of resistance to making or allowing customizations to, in particular, the JATS (NLM DTDs), and so this is a poster to try to confront that inertia.

I expect to get some push-back (actually, I expect it mostly to be ignored - if I get some push-back, I'd be very happy).  So I'm sending this email to open-science in case any readers here want to discuss it:  http://friendfeed.com/klortho/3273b6a2

Cheers!

Chris Maloney
NIH/NLM/NCBI (Contractor)
Building 45, 5AN.24D-22