[open-science] Open Crystallography

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Aug 30 07:42:21 UTC 2011

I have proposed that there should be an Open Crystallography activity (see
me post and previous ones)
http://blogs.ch.cam.ac.uk/pmr/2011/08/30/open-crystallography-the-hargreaves-report-can-help-make-ccdc-data-open/.
I think there is a real chance that we can persuade the International
Union of Crystallography to adopt an Open philosophy on crystallograph. In
my blog (
http://blogs.ch.cam.ac.uk/pmr/2011/08/28/iucr2011-open-crystallography/ ) I
simply took Panton and changed "science" to "crystallography". In my talk
yesterday I proposed

"All published crystallographic data should be Open"

I would be moderately confident of getting the last sentence adopted. I know
the Union and president, so if we make a careful case I think it would be
well received. This could then act as a template for other scientific
bodies.

P.