[open-science] BioSharing - short intro and interest in exploring collaboration

Susanna-Assunta Sansone sa.sansone at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 10:49:45 UTC 2011

 > Projects we should follow up/assist/otherwise get involved with.

Dear Jenny and all,
at the call in June and promised I would briefly introduce
BioSharing, one of the activities I co-lead with Dawn Field (of
NERC-NEBC). Sorry for the long delay, a summary is now below.
I will try to join today's call; I also strongly support open data and
your goals. In particular I believe we need 'standardized descriptions'
of the datasets so that these are understandable, reusable and (in
principle) reproducible; hence the creation of a catalogue of standards,
under BioSharing as a starting point.
I would be happy to explore links between the goals of BioSharing and
this group.
Thanks,
Susanna

***
BioSharing: policies, standards and communication in bioscience
***
Several data management, sharing policies and plans have emerged in
response to increased funding for high-throughput approaches in genomics
and functional genomics bioscience (e.g. 1). In parallel, a growing
number of community-based groups are developing standards (minimal
reporting requirements, terminologies and exchange formats) to harmonize
the reporting of different experiments, so that these can be
comprehensible and in principle reproduced, compared or integrated (2).
A bewildering array of standards is available, but these are hard to
find, at different levels of maturity; in some areas duplications or
gaps in coverage also exist.

BioSharing (3) works at the global level to build stable linkages in
particular between journals, funders, implementing data sharing
policies, and well-constituted standardization efforts in the
biosciences domain, to expedite the communication and the production of
an integrated standards-based framework for the capture and sharing of
high-throughput genomics and functional genomic bioscience data, in
particular. BioSharing is an open-membership organization (4) that works
to achieve its objective via a web-based catalogues a communication
forum and annual meetings. BioSharing extends the MIBBI effort (5) -
already known by several journals - and has already several endorsements
(6,7).

1. Field*, Sansone*, Collis* et al., 'Omics Data Sharing, Science 326,
234 (2009).
2. http://biosharing.org/standards_view
3. http://biosharing.org
4. http://biosharing.org/communities
5. http://mibbi.org or http://www.biosharing.org/reporting_guideline
6.
http://blog.biosharing.org/2011/05/biosharing-featured-in-nature-genetics.html
or "Standard cooperating procedures", Nat Gen 43, 501 (2011).
7. partnership with BioMedCentral:
http://blog.biosharing.org/2011/07/what-is-right-format-for-my-data-look.html

***

> Hi All
>
> Just a reminder about the working group Skype meeting scheduled for
> this evening. We have a lot to discuss as we didn't meet in July so I
> hope lots of you can make it! It would be great to hear from you if
> you've just recently joined the mailing list and would like to find
> out more about what we do so please consider joining in.
>
> Looking forward to speaking to you soon!
>
> Jenny
>
> When:      Wednesday 3 August at 17:30 UTC/GMT (18:30 BST)
> Location:  Etherpad http://okfnpad.org/sciencewg-3Aug2011 and Skype
> (add your Skype ID to the Etherpad and I'll bring you into the
> conference call)
>
> Please add your name and Skype ID to the list of attendees on
> http://okfnpad.org/sciencewg-3Aug2011
> Add anything you'd like to be discussed or new ideas to the agenda
> (even if you can't make it yourself, just make sure you add enough
> details).

> to see developed?
> * Review of Royal Society SAPE Submission
> * Encouraging local open science groups and meet ups.
> * AOB

Susanna-Assunta Sansone, PhD

Team Leader
University of Oxford

Projects: www.isa-tools.org|www.mibbi.org|www.biosharing.org

University of Oxford           Tel: +44(0)1865 610622
Oxford e-Research Centre       Fax: +44(0)1865 610612
7 Keble Road, Oxford           skype: susanna-a.sansone
OX1 3QG, UK                    uk.linkedin.com/in/sasansone