[open-science] Fame, glory and neglect in meta-analyses

Ross Mounce ross.mounce at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 08:33:58 UTC 2011

> > Is this within the remit / related to Open Science? I hope so...

> Absolutely

Great! I've been conscious I've been rather quiet on this list so far.

As a meta-analyst myself I'm genuinely concerned that when I come to
publish my analyses - the original authors who in some cases even took
the time themselves to send me their datasets and explain things about
them to; just won't get the credit they deserve, even though I myself
am extremely happy and really *want* to give them that deserved
credit.

Original authors of primary datasets are the very lifeblood of my
research, so I'd go to great lengths to keep them happy with how I use
& cite their data.

But depending on which journal I submit to, it seems thoroughly out of
my hands; even as an author it seems I have little control over this
problem (another hangover from the age of Paper-only publishing?)!
Needless to say as a very early career researcher I can't afford to
pick and choose where I publish for the sake of issues like this -
even if I am fully cognisant of them.

Gold OA, or not. Proper credit giving citations, or not. Open Data, or
not... It seems scholarly authors have a lot of choices, and it's all
too easy to passively choose "not" (~lazy / bad) atm.   :S

Ross

--
Ross Mounce