[open-science] Fame, glory and neglect in meta-analyses

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Aug 16 09:23:41 UTC 2011

> It seems like this paper is perhaps unfairly putting the burden of
> > responsibility on the authors of meta-analyses, rather than on
> > publishers who I imagine could easily (surely?) let ISI count ESM/SI
> > citations. Why does this issue even exist in 2011 (the Digitial
> > Age)!?!?
>
> I am afraid it's not technically easy. Here's the first suppdata I found at
random:

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/suppl/10.1021/jo200117p/suppl_file/jo200117p_si_003.pdf

It's simply called "PDF". Where are the citations? They are actually
footnotes in this case. Sometimes they are in bitmaps

In the main text the citations are "standardized" by the publishers (i.e.
every publisher does it consistently within the publisher but completely
different from each other)  and probably the robots can get a reasonable
amount without too many garbles. In the suppdata it's whatever anyone puts
in.

And, remember that with a few execeptions, publishers regard suppdata as a
cost without benefits.

> One would think so - are there any publishers on the list who wouldn't
> mind giving their perspective or explaining the challenges?

Yes, please - let's hear some. We shall treat you respectfully.