[open-science] Licence, Ownership and Copyright in scholarly publishing

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Dec 14 06:48:11 GMT 2011

I have (what I hope is) a clearly formulated question and I'd like
authoritative answers. Please don't offer guesses or logical solutions.

In a scholarly publication we can, in principle, identify some interested
parties:
* the author/s of the publication
* the owner of the intellectual property
* the copyright holder
* the licensor

I can imagine cases where all four are different, e.g.
* me
* my employer
* someone I have transferred the copyright to
* someone who publishes a journal

I am particularly interested in who licences the publication as this is the
legal entity that may challenge someone's use of the material. Is it always
clear? Where it is clear is it always the publisher?

P.